Red mullet is a lovely flakey fish, a Mediterranean favorite that combines well with sweet carrot and contrasting salty anchovies and olives.
- 4 red mullet fillets skin-on (250 gr) per 2 fillets
- 1 lime (cut in slices)
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves
- 6 black olives
- 4 anchovies fillets
- Juice of ½ lime
- 60 ml olive oil
- 300 gr carrot
- Sea salt/ crushed black pepper
- 1Slice the carrots lengthwise on a mandolin in thin slices, place them flat on a chopping board and cut lengthwise ½ cm broad tagliatelle strips.
- 2Cook the carrot tagliatelle in water with a bit of salt for 3 to 4 minutes, drain and rinse cold
- 3Chop the anchovies and the olives fine
- 4Arrange the mullet fillets on tray, divide the lime slices on the meat side over one half of the fillets, top with a sprig of coriander and top with another fillet half, meat side down , press a bit so they stick together.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a skillet to high heat, sprinkle a little salt on the skin of the fillets and carefully add them to the pan.
- 6Fry for 2 minutes and turn them around with a spatula, fry for another 2 minutes.
- 7Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- 8Add the anchovies/olives mix (tapenade) to the pan, fry for 30 seconds and add the lime juice. Remove from the pan and keep aside
- 9Now add the carrot tagliatelle to the pan and fry for a minute, season with salt.
- 10Arrange some tagliatelle on plates, top with a mullet sandwich and top with the tapenade